Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] Minimum GCC required to support build
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-01 23:16:16

AMDG

On 03/01/2013 06:27 PM, Michael Powell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the minimum GCC I will need to compile boost? All of it if I can,
> or majority of it? And then what might I be giving up?

Most libraries should be usable with gcc 4.4.3.
I see 4.1.2, 4.2.1, and mingw 4.4.0 in the
regression test matrix for the release branch:
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html

GCC 3.x may or may not work. Many libraries
should have worked at one time, but it's been
a while since we've been running tests with it.

GCC 2.x is probably hopeless.

> Specifically, I am working with GCC 4.4.3 in Ubuntu LInux 10.04 LTS. I'd
> like to upgrade that to 4.7 if not 4.8 for C++11 features.
>
> I've read it can be done, but that makes me nervous upgrading such a
> crucial part of the Linux tool chain.
>
> Also, bearing in mind that we will need to cross compile to ARM5: I believe
> crosstool-ng might be the thing that enables that.
>
> Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe