Subject: [Boost-users] Scale-free networks generation
From: davidrey123 (davidrey.maths_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-06 17:55:28

Hello, I would to use Boost librairies to generate scale-free networks and I
am not sure what is the best approach.

I am currently using the PLOD generator, but the graphs generated are
generally multigraphs, that is, graphs with multiple edges between two
nodes. Although I would like to generate graphs with bidirectionnal edges
between nodes, I also would like to bound the maximum number of possible
edges between a pair of nodes to 2. In other words, if edges (i,j) and (j,i)
are generated between nodes i and j, I do not want any additional edge
between those nodes to be generated.

Hence, I would like to know;

1-Is it possible to generate such graphs using the PLOD generator? If it is,
do I need to remove "multi-edges" after the graph is generated or is there a
smarter way to do so?

2-If using the PLOD generator is not the best option, is there any other
random graph generator in Boost that can be adapted to design scale-free
networks? In particular, is there a graph generator implementing the
Barabasi-Albert model (I have looked up the forum for an answer to that
question and it seems that the answer is "no", but things may have changed
since)/

3-I read somewhere that Compressed Sparse Row (CSR) graphs could be used to
represent scale-free networks, is there a way to use the corresponding Boost
class to do so?

Thank you,
-David