Subject: Re: [Boost-users] header-only libraries
From: Igor R (boost.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-27 16:12:32

> I am not sure if there are not still some compilers/linkers that do not
> support mixed linking of libraries (static and dynamic)

Excuse my ignorance, what's this? How can one link a library both
statically and dynamically?

> Further, afaik, with static linking you won't have
> link-time-optimization and dead code removal (at least until boost has
> been compiled with the appropriate options, which it isn't by default)

Well, it's quite trivial to add something like cxxflags=/GL, so it
doesn't seem to be an issue. OTOH, build times might grow
significantly in a header-only version.

> Still, asio offers this possibility

I believe, this's for historical reasons: before 1.44 asio was header
only, since 1.44 there was added the separate compilation option.