Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Good lock_guard<mytype> example
From: John Rocha (jrr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-01 19:20:35

Hello Michael,

*this is a pointer to the mutex that the 'lock_guard' is using. The name "this"
is unfortunate since it overlaps with an object's 'this' pointer... unless your
class 'mytype' is derived from a mutex....

I've usually seen it used on just a boost::mutex.

    boost::mutex the_lock;

and later in some code associated with the lock, you could activate it in a
block by doing;

    boost::lock_guard<boost::mutex> lock(the_lock);
    ...do stuff....

Consider looking at:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/doc/html/thread/synchronization.html#thread.synchronization.tutorial
and searching for lock_guard I think it has a pretty decent example there.