Subject: Re: [Boost-users] publish/subscribe/message architecture using boost
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-06 08:59:14

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Sean Farrow <sean.farrow_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi all,****
>
> I‘m currently looking at redesigning an application and changing to
> boost/c++11 library components.
>
> The application reads data from an input, processes the data and then send
> it to an output.****
>
> The current architecture is one thread per “device” where a device is a
> pair of input/output ports and one processing stage.****
>
> What I’d like to do is move this to either a publish/subscribe model or
> some form of message-based system where an input comes in and a message is
> then sent to the next stage of the process.****
>
> All stages will happen on the same physical/virtual machine. ****
>
> Are there any good pub/subscribe or message-based components using the
> boost architecture that works on mac osx/win32.****

We're looking into something around infrastructure as well for a
producer/consumer data generator, as well as event brokering type
architecture. I wouldn't artificially constrain yourself to boost-based
alone.

Although we're using boost, several have come to mind: looks like ZeroMQ is
a strong horse in that race. Crossroads I/O (XS) popped up as a plausible
fork in the ZeroMQ road, but I am discovering it seems to be a dead thing.

XS' would-be successor Nanomsg is a work in progress: would ignore it until
it's released. Which leaves ZMQ.

There may be others, like ZeroC Ice (lighter weight successor to
CORBA-esque RPC), but that might be overkill for what you need.

For us anyway ecosystem is a concern, so cross platform cross language is a
key element as well. Although any of these work just fine in one address
space (intra-process), as well as inter-process, and between systems, etc.

HTH