Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [multiprecision] radix-2
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-10 13:01:03

From: Boost-users [mailto:boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Lucas Sousa de Oliveira
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:04 PM
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
Subject: [Boost-users] [multiprecision] radix-2

Hey Lucas

I'm considering participating in this year's GSoC 2013 with Boost. I think the multiprecision
problem is very interesting and I'll give my best to implement it

But first, what would you think is the challenge here? What would make this problem very complex?
I'm studying the general radix algorithm and it doesn't seem to be that bad. Am I being misled?

I hope you are studying

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2013#Boost.Multiprecision

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/libs/multiprecision/doc/html/index.html

and especially

http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/mca/mca-cup-0.5.1.pdf

If you study the existing decimal (radix = 10) implementation, you will see that multiprecision
makes it rather complicated, even if the underlying algorithms are not.

It must be specific for radix = 2 to be fast.

Ask again if you are still interested after studying these documents, and some of the code.

It would be useful to see if you can build some of the examples using Boost.Multiprecision decimal,
perhaps using a Boost.Math function or two. You could send us a zip of your files and output.

Extra marks for providing a Boost.Test comparing with a handful of published values. You can use any
platform, Linux, Mac or Microsoft with your IDE of choice, perhaps Visual Studio or NetBeans?

HTH

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,