Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Can I implement asynchronous and non-blocking socket IO with boost.asio on LINUX?
From: Journeyer J. Joh (oosaprogrammer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-14 08:48:32

Hi Bjorn Reese and poeple on list,

Thank you for providing good url.
>From the url below,
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/doc/html/boost_asio/overview/core/async.html

I found a note below.

Many operating systems offer a native asynchronous I/O API (such as
overlapped I/O on *Windows*) as the preferred option for developing high
performance network applications. The library may be implemented in terms
of native asynchronous I/O. However, if native support is not available,
the library may also be implemented using synchronous event demultiplexors
that typify the Reactor pattern, such as*POSIX* select().

I think this implementation looks similar to ACE. The proactor
implementation varies depends on platforms. ACE uses native asynch IO
features for Windows, Solaris but not for LINUX.
I wanted to know if boost.asio implements asynch IO for LINUX not like ACE.
But the note above gives me an impression that boost.asio is almost the
same with ACE for LINUX and other platforms also.

Then does proactor of boost.asio on LINUX work well? If it is portable I
guess it should though.

Do people use proactor of boost.asio on LINUX?

Sincerely
Journeyer

Journeyer J. Joh
o o s a p r o g r a m m e r