Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Interprocess : vectors of vectors
From: Nat Linden (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-14 10:49:02

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Oodini <svdbg____at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > I suspect, though, that the eventual solution to this particular
> > problem will be a higher-level interface to shared memory that can
> > grow or shrink the resource as needed.

> It seem you can already do that :

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/doc/html/interprocess/managed_memory_segments.html#interprocess.managed_memory_segments.managed_memory_segment_advanced_features.growing_managed_memory
>
> But as I already know the number of bytes I have to deserialize, I'd like
> to avoid reallocation.

? Isn't that the point of your original question: you do not, in fact,
know in advance the number of bytes you will need?

If you have a way to move forward without getting stuck on this issue,
finish your code, evaluate its performance and then -- if necessary --
run a profiler to figure out what actually needs improving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_optimization#Quotes