Subject: [Boost-users] Any debugging tips for Boost Interprocess shared memory crashes?
From: Warren Postma (charanga.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-14 01:47:03

I am a newly humbled mediocre C++ programmer, who is completely unable to figure out why Boost interprocess shared memory classes frequently freeze or crash both at creation and deletion of the manager objects, both with the persistent and the windows-only non persistent versions of the classes.

Do you ever debug things and it all just gets worse and worse the longer you try to fix it?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17100597/does-boostinterprocesswindows-shared-memory-require-any-special-initializati

Today I am getting crashes in the boost shared memory manager object destructor, or deadlocks in WMI calls. It's in Boost 1.53, on Visual C++ 2008, and involves DLLs. I am unable to reproduce the insanity at a top level EXE demo, and I tried to build a exe-loads DLL1, which loads DLL2, which creates boost objects, which fail when you destroy them, but I am unable to extricate it from my project. So it could be one of the lovely compiler or linker or project settings in my Visual C++ project, something about Multithreaded Debug DLL and MFC and ATL and all the billion varieties of weird RTL and heap bugs that lurk in Visual C++ runtime libraries. I am not blaming boost, but I am at wits end here. I have about 80 hours into debugging this and it's only getting worse the more I look at it.

After this I promise to go away, perhaps drink myself silly, and never ever again try to use C++ or boost. Or Windows.

Because for all I know this could be a windows SxS issue with Visual Studio 2008 and its lovely assortment of DLLs and runtime SxS insanity.

Warren