Subject: [Boost-users] [statechart] [spirit] OSI delimited message framing
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-19 07:55:33

Hello,

I need to design a delimited message framing for TCP/IP sockets,
probably using Asio to facilitate transport. Then build an OSI layer 7
application vernier to handle framing.

I've dabbled a bit with Spirit and cooked up a couple of "simple"
micro grammars throughout the code base. In a sense, I could see a
delimited message framing strategy being a grammar of sorts, but this
seems somewhat complex for a grammar to handle when you consider the
overhead of verifying pass/fail (message or not a message), plus
extracting the message within the delimiters.

Or, more likely approach the problem with statechart in mind. I've
dealt with framed messages in the past more like this. One state is
the escape byte, which can be followed by SOM, EOM, or another
true-escape-byte (intended message byte). Plus other fields like
message type, sub-type, how to handle payload, arguments, and so
forth.

Anyone else dealt with things like this before? With Spirit? With Statechart?

Regards,

Michael Powell