Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [exception] exception_ptr missing virtual base parameters
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-12 21:38:34

I apologize for the late reply. It seems like Steven is right, there is no
way to make this work. I had two ideas that I tried:

1) I tried to use operator= to copy the virtual bases after the clone_impl
constructor has initialized them using their default constructors
(unfortunately). This makes the test case Michael posted work, however
operator= is not available for types that contain members of reference
types. I don't know how common this situation is, but in the
boost::exception tests I did have such exceptions (not on purpose) which
maybe means it isn't too unusual.

2) My other idea was instead of operator= to call ~T(), then the T copy
constructor with placement new over the T sub-object of clone_impl<T>. This
duly crashed the test program, which isn't all that surprising but it was
worth a try. :)

Emil