Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Using Boost-Log for real-time logging (windows)
From: Colin Powers (Colin.Powers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-01 12:08:41

From: Gheorghe Marinca [mailto:gheorghe.marinca_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 01 August 2013 11:06
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]

Hi all,

I want to use boost-log for "real time" logging. what I mean by that is a logging where one can enable/disable parts of the logging at runtime and is also has performance. We have used logging on windows based on ETW (Event tracing for Windows) that offers high performance and is dynamic.

Can we use ETW based logging with boost-Log on windows ?
Regards
-Ghita

In my experience it's pretty good for this, although I suspect you will have to do some code around it. To some extent Boost Log is like a very rich toolset that you use to build a logging solution rather than a solution unto itself.

It is pretty good performance-wise in my experience and you can dynamically set filters on both the core and individual logging sinks. Filters are what I would use to enable/disable parts of the logging. Severity level is the most obvious example of filtering but the sky's the limit really. For example I have used a filter in XML-handling code that can enable/disable very verbose logging of all XML data being handled.

Cheers
Colin