Subject: [Boost-users] graph theoretical problem
From: Peter Foelsche (foelsche_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-02 19:34:31

Dear All,

does the boost graph library provide a solution to the problem I'm trying to solve:

I want to distribute a set of tasks to multiple CPUs/Threads.
The tasks have predecessor and successor dependencies.
There are no loops.
More often than not, a task consists of only very few operations.
So if I brute force program this, the resulting code is busy only with scheduling -- the real code does not show up in the profiling results.
I think this can be solved by collapsing some tasks into a single task to minimize scheduling/communication.
I've got a cost function associated with every task.

Is this some well known algorithm which is already available in boost graph?

Kind Regards
Peter Foelsche