Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Removing all support for Visual C++ 7.0, GCC 3.2 and other old compilers
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-06 07:35:31

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, at 01:14 PM, Joel Falcou wrote:

> Intel is now 12 and gcc is 4.x, coudln't we reach a bit further on those
> ? ICC before 8 is rather obnoxious to work with and so is gcc pre 4.x

Possibly, that's why I mentioned that we might remove support from some
later versions as well. I don't really know anything about old versions
of Intel, but I would be surprised if anyone is using a version earlier
than 8. I think there might still be a few Visual C++ 7.1 users and gcc
3.4 users (using mingw?). At least there was last year, maybe they'll
have managed to upgrade by now. Rather than removing support for those
compilers immediately, it might be better to go through some kind of
deprecation process (e.g. warnings when compiling, mentions in release
notes).

Daniel