Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Asio, 0MQ, and Windows
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-11 06:12:13

On 08/09/2013 08:34 PM, Damien Kick wrote:

>> The reason why there is a assign, but no release-function for
>> boost::asio::ip::tcp::sockets is that once a socket is "bound" to a
>> completion port you cannot "unbound" it or "bound" it to another
>> completion-port.

I nearly forgot this one. You have to make sure that the Boost.Asio
socket does not close the underlying socket. Here is an explanation
of how it can be done:

http://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/2011-May/011666.html

I used to use this technique in an Asio wrapper for ZeroMQ and it works
just fine.

However, I got dissatisfied by how ZeroMQ hides too much detail from me
(like disconnect, so I cannot do things like Wake-on-LAN.) So I ended up
writing a (partial) implementation of the ZMTP/2.0 protocol directly
with Asio:

http://axiomq.sourceforge.net/