Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost-users Digest, Vol 3537, Issue 1
From: Rick Aurbach (rick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-15 12:16:31

Michael,

It sounds to me like you're making this altogether too complicated. Don't focus on the software; focus on the science.

The size of the "degree" unit is the same for Kelvin and Celsius. (I.e., if the temperature changes by 1 degree K, it changes by exactly 1 degree C.) The only this that is different between Kelvin and Celsius is the zero point. For Kelvin, 0 degrees is absolute zero and there are no negative values of temperature. (Well, that's not quite right, but you'll never encounter the exceptions.) For Celsius, 0 degrees is the freezing point of water at sea level. To convert between Kelvin and Celcius, just add or subtract a constant. That constant has a value of 273.15.

That is, you can make a dimensionally-safe conversion from Kelvin to Celcius by subtracting 273.15. Converting from Celsius to Kelvin by adding 273.15.

Cheers,

Rick Aurbach
Aurbach & Associates, Inc.