Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Installing (in the b2 sense) boost under windows
From: Kirk Joppy (kirk.joppy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-24 19:38:33

> I eventually got it working with these commands:
> C:\boost_1_49_0>b2 toolset=gcc --build-type=complete --prefix=\prefix stage
> C:\boost_1_49_0>b2 toolset=gcc --prefix=\prefix\ install

This makes sense. Note that you could have skipped the staging step if
you want, and could have specified the build directory explicitly. Try
typing b2 --help for a list of command line options.

For completeness here's what I did to build boost 1.53 from the MSYS
shell using MinGW ($ indicates a shell command, # indicates a
comment):

$ cd BOOST_ROOT
$ bootstrap.sh mingw --prefix=H:/MinGW-libs
# H:/MinGW-libs is where I chose to put all of my nonstandard libs for MinGW.
# If you do this you have to make sure you somehow tell gcc how to
find these libs,
# since they aren't the instandard search paths.
# I then edited project-config.jam to look like this:
if ! mingw in [ feature.values <toolset> ]
{
    using gcc ;
}
# I don't know why this works but it does. I found this somewhere on
stackoverflow
$ b2 --build-dir=H:/boost/msys-build --with-regex link=static
runtime-link=shared install

This put all of the build files (.o file etc) in H:\boost\msys-build,
but installed the actual libs and headers to H:\MinGW-libs. This is
because the options specified when you invoke bootstrap.sh (and
boostrap.bat) control what goes into project-config.jam, which in turn
determines where things are built/installed/etc when you run b2. Note
that you can override these options when you invoke b2. Either way
works.

> Thank you for your help.

yay! My first ever useful response to a mailing list :)

Regards,
kjoppy