Subject: Re: [Boost-users] BJAM and VS2013RC
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-18 13:05:08

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:00:03AM -0700, LeMay.Steve wrote:
> Has anyone successfully built Boost 1.54 with VS2013RC?
>
> Did you have an issue with the build process locating cl ?

Most of the patches mentioned in [1] are still needed against 1.54 in
order to build and use 2013 (Preview and RC).

The Build one ought to be all you need to get a Boost.Build build and a
Boost build going. The rest are ones that you need to get Boost.Config
and assorted libraries going.

Among them, I think pretty much only the Boost.Build patch has been
applied to trunk, the rest are suffering either from quabbling about
whether to support non-release compilers or plain neglect.

With all those patches applied (with an additional patch [2] adjusting
the _MSC_FULL_VER and adding support for the four additional feature
macros for 2013RC), my Boost 1.54 tree seems to build completely.

<rant>
It's still utterly impossible to run the regression test suite as a mere
mortal, so I have no idea what kind of regressions there are in Boost
between 2012 and 2013RC.

I'd like to put more effort into getting support for this upstream, but
it's way too frustrating to go through the effort to make decent patches
and have the majority of them ignored.

I wouldn't expect any form of formal support in Boost for VS 2013 until
whatever version releases after the 2013 RTM in November, way too late
for any actionable bug reports to Microsoft.

I guess some of the compilers are just less important than others.
</rant>

I uploaded my largely untested and unsupported builds of my patched
1.54.0 built with 2013 RC to [2] and [3], for anyone foolish enough to
try it. It has most of the variants I care about:
(runtime-link=shared, link=static,shared)

[1] http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Patch-bonanza-for-VS2013-Preview-support-td4649199.html
[2] https://www.acc.umu.se/~zao/boost/boost-1.54.0_vc12_32_patched.7z
[3] https://www.acc.umu.se/~zao/boost/boost-1.54.0_vc12_64_patched.7z
[4] ---8<---
// C++ features supported by VC++ 12 RC (aka 2013)
#if _MSC_FULL_VER < 180020827
#define BOOST_NO_CXX11_DECLTYPE_N3276
#define BOOST_NO_CXX11_DEFAULTED_FUNCTIONS
#define BOOST_NO_CXX11_DELETED_FUNCTIONS
#define BOOST_NO_CXX11_TEMPLATE_ALIASES
#endif

// last known and checked version is 1800.20827 (VC12 RC, aka 2013 RC):
#if (_MSC_VER > 1800 || _MSC_FULL_VER > 180020827)
---8<---

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]