Subject: [Boost-users] [iostreams] - Using sparse Windows files
From: Byrne, Kevin (kevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 17:00:27

Hello,

I am trying to write cross-platform Boost code that utilizes sparse files
on Windows7 and FreeBSD. I already have Windows code that creates and
accesses a sparse file. I am of the understanding that Boost code cannot
create a Windows7 sparse file for me so I am trying to create the file
using the Windows code and then replace my ReadFileEx() and WriteFileEx()
with Boost streams. I have had luck with using iostreams::file to access an
existing Windows sparse file but it fails when I have to read a sparse area
thinking it is at the end of the file. I tried creating a stream using an
existing HANDLE but was not successful in reading or writing file content.
Before I proceed further I thought I would ask first if Boost is capable of
using Windows7 sparse file technology. If it is capable I would appreciate
some guidance on how. I have done a bit of searching on the web with not
much helpful information.

Regards,
Kevin