Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread] Test if a thread is running
From: christoph.kliemt_at_[hidden]
Date: 2013-10-08 13:07:12

Patrick Steele <steele.patrick_at_[hidden]> writes:

> in order to test if a boost.thread is running I used timed_join as per
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1667420/how-can-i-tell-reliably-if-a-boost-thread-has-exited-its-run-method,
> which recommended that I should be able to call timed_join with a wait time
> of 0 ie
> bool isThreadRunning = ! m_Thread.timed_join( boost::get_system_time() );
> I have just upgraded to boost 1.54 to see that this no longer appears to
> work and that the timed_join function is being deprecated.
> Can you tell me how I should now check whether a thread is running
> please?

In cases like this i use a flag that is set to "thread running" when its
enters its run method and to "thread ended" when the thread leaves its
run method; to signal a condition for another bookkeeper thread can be
an option.
All this depends on how accurate the answer has to be...

regards Christoph