Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost.org/users/license.html page out of date and misleading?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-16 14:15:45

This only required to re-*build* the docs - the normal release is *pre-built*, so this doesn't
apply.

> And here is a file with the GNU Public License:
>
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/tools/build/v2/engine/jamgram.h

I think we are relying on this text in the file.

/* As a special exception, you may create a larger work that contains
   part or all of the Bison parser skeleton and distribute that work
   under terms of your choice, so long as that work isn't itself a
   parser generator using the skeleton or a modified version thereof
   as a parser skeleton. Alternatively, if you modify or redistribute
   the parser skeleton itself, you may (at your option) remove this
   special exception, which will cause the skeleton and the resulting
   Bison output files to be licensed under the GNU General Public
   License without this special exception.

   This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation in
   version 2.2 of Bison. */

> Is there a Boost download that only includes files with the Boost Software License (e.g. without
the tools and libs/*/doc directories)?

> I'm trying to convince some people I work with that Boost has a corporate friendly license, but it
is
> difficult given the seemingly out of date license.html page and the fact that the normal Boost
download
> (e.g. boost_1_54_0.tar.gz) has files that use copy left licenses.

I agree that we should get the license page corrected. IMO we need to note and explain any
exceptions.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,