Subject: [Boost-users] [python] Crash right after initialization after ubgrading from 1.48 to 1.54
From: Richi Lists (ricul77_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-30 04:56:54

I upgraded from boost 1.48 to .154 and I thought I was done after all
the compiler errors and unit tests were ironed out.
But now when I start our application, it terminates immediately. This
only happens with the debug build. The release build is fine.
I verified that it properly links to boost-python-vc100-mt-gyd-1_54.lib
and python27_d.lib
The python version (2.73) is still the same that we used with boost
1.48.

I tracked it down to here:

Py_Initialize();
m_mainModule = boost::python::import(__main__); <-- crash here

With the debugger I found out that the string object is invalid. More
specifically, ob_type is 0xffffffff.

So I added this exception which always throws now:
Py_Initialize();
const boost::pathon::str someRandomString("someRandomString");
if(reinterpret_cast<void*>(0xffffffff) ==
someRandomString.ptr()->ob_type)
    throw std::runtime_error("Python problem");

What could be going on here?

Rgds
Richard