Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.54.0 Header Warnings: Shadowed Variables
From: Tom Browder (tom.browder_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-12 19:03:59

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> warning-free code, so Boost releases being warning-free would be a
>>> very good thing.
>> I suggest you file bug reports regarding any problems
>> you find: if the fix is trivial and they come with patches even better.

Okay, I've downloaded and installed 1.55.0 and filed my first set of
bugs (not all -Wshadow, five or so -Wundefs, too). I will add some
patches later (for the ones I think I can figure out), but quite a few
are head-scratchers for me--that's why I wish you had a policy of
checking with more warnings for releases.

Ref the -Wshadow warning in particular: IMHO, the obstinate and
continued use of a shadowed name (just because one thinks one can get
away with it) in a well-respected library like Boost is not good for
business nor the author's reputation.

Best regards,

-Tom