Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problem with variadic BOOST_PP_TUPLE_REM in Clang
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-14 18:59:39

On 11/14/2013 5:40 PM, Matt Calabrese wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:eldiener_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> Currently Boost PP does not depend on any other Boost library, not
> even Config.
>
> I imagine that Paul might respond to this issue. If he does not I
> will notify him of it.
>

> Regardless, since both C99+ and C++11+ have variadic macros, it should
> probably be updated to a new BOOST_PP_NO_VARIADICS macro so that we
> assume compliance by default.

I think that adding another macro confuses the issue even if it mimics
the style of config macros.

It is not my call to change the code for determining what compiler
should automatically have variadic support enabled in Boost PP, even if
I worked prettily heavily on variadic macro support in general in Boost
PP with Paul. It's still his library to decide on this IMO and, even
though the change is fairly trivial in a single header file, I feel on
principal he has to agree to it. I will point this thread out to him.

The end-user can always currently set BOOST_PP_VARIADICS to 1 for any
compiler to override the Boost PP automatic setting for that particular
compiler, but I do understand your feeling that nearly all compilers now
support variadic macros so it should be on, unless set off.