Subject: [Boost-users] Thread synchronization
From: Gonzalo Garramuno (ggarra13_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 18:02:43

I have an application (a video player), that uses three threads to play
videos (one thread handles decoding, another video display, and another
audio). These threads have a thread barrier to wait until all 3 threads
finish. This works fine.
Now, my video player supports playing back two movies at the same time
(to have one as a background and one as a foreground). Currently this is
done with the same code for both.
My problem is that there's no sync between the two movies and I am
puzzled on how to achieve synchronism. I am unsure whether a thread
barrier can be waited twice by two threads or whether I should have a
single barrier that waits on the 6 threads ( 2 decode, 2 video, 2 audio ).
If someone has any insight, it would be appreciated.