Subject: [Boost-users] Problems installing old BOOST version
From: squid squid (anticancer8108_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-01 23:47:30

Greetings Everyone

I'm a phd student in chemometrics and drug design.
I am fairly new to ubuntu C programing although I'm
rather experienced in C programing in windows.

I have recently come accross a number of codes written
in 2005 which I'm interested in learning how they work.

Those codes needs BOOST library to complie, however they won't
compile on the newest BOOST version installed on my ubuntu 12.04.
I set the gcc compiler on lenient so that it ignores all those error
messages. The code did compile and ran afterwards.

However, when I used GDB debugger to watch how the program flows
I noticed that there are likely errors in the way the program runs
probably due to using a different BOOST version rather than it's original.
Hence
I like to install the BOOST version corresponding to the code I downloaded.

To do that, I installed Ubuntu 6.02 and downloaded BOOST 1.33.1 both of
which were created
in late 2005. I downloaded BOOST
from: http://www.boost.org/users/history/

but I didnt found any detailed instruction on how to install it.
Only vague description on using BOOST jam, I played around with BOOST
jam for quite awhile and got roughly the installation outline as follows:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Unpack the trazball in /usr/share/

goto the directory /usr/share/boost_1_33_1/tools/build/jam_src

run the script ./build.sh

the script creats an executable called bjam, copy that file into
/usr/share/boost_1_33_1/

run bjam with: ./bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" install
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

My problems starts when running the ./build.sh script, resulting in tons of
error messages and no bjam file created.
The errors look like:
search.c:187: error too many arguments to function 'timestamp'
In file included from subst.c:2:
jam.h:398:24: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
jam.h:399:23: error: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
...lots more errors....

I would greatly appreciate any info on how to deal with this issue.

Sincerely