Subject: [Boost-users] Using BGL for huge grid graphs
From: Knut Krause (knut.krause_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-15 06:10:39

Hi,

I'm planning on using the BGL on huge graphs the represent a grid where each
vertex is a cell connected to it's 8 neighbours. I think something around
2,500,000,000 vertices would be a good number to approach but it would be
great if it could handle (a lot) more later.

If I got this graph I have to find the shortest path between two vertices.

Does anyone here have experiences with graphs that large? Is this even worth a
try on "normal" hardware?

The edge weights would be stored in the vertices. So if you want to go from
(a) to (b) you'd have to pay the cost stored in (b). The graph is not directed
either.

I read about BGLs CSR graph
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/libs/graph/doc/compressed_sparse_row.html
but since I honestly have no clue how to use BGL yet I thought I'd first hear
your opinons.

Regards

Knut