Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Help? Re: [Serialization] 1.49 to 1.55 problems
From: Kevin Martin (kev82_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-16 05:25:51

On 16 Jan 2014, at 06:50, John M. Dlugosz <ngnr63q02_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Can someone please point me in the right direction for help with this? I don't believe there is a separate mailing list, but I thought there was a thriving user base of Boost.Serialization users.

I encountered the same problem a few years ago when we had implemented a simple protocol based on serialization and asio, and upgraded boost on the server builds. As I understand it, serialization is only designed to be backwards compatible, that is the newer versions can read the older data, but not the other way around. At the time the only solution was to keep boost the same on both ends. We ended up switching to Lua as our serialization format. However the todo page now makes it sound more promising:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/libs/serialization/doc/todo.html#backversioning

Thanks,
Kevin