Subject: [Boost-users] Avoid transitive link dependency
From: Dario Ramos (dario_ramos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-29 12:10:20

I wrote a serial port static library using boost::asio. I'm trying to use
this library from another project I'm building as a dll, but this second
project fails to link: it wants to link with Boost's sytem library.

I used PIMPL to remove all boost #includes from my class header, and also
tried setting Visual Studio's Link Library Dependencies option set to Yes
in my static library. Neither approach worked.

I know I can solve this by adding the boost binary directory to the library
directories for my dll project, but I'd like to avoid that. The way I see
it, only my static library should have a Boost link dependency.

I'm using Visual Studio 2012, targetting to Windows XP (v110_xp toolset),
and Boost 1.53.0.

I asked about this at Stack Overflow if anyone's interested:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21435666/avoid-link-dependency-with-boost

--
*Darío Eduardo Ramos*
Meditech S.A. www.meditech.com.ar