Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Attn: We need GSoC 2014 mentors for Boost!
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-08 11:45:57

On 8 Feb 2014 at 9:41, Antony Polukhin wrote:

> > Therefore, if you think yourself able to mentor a student doing some
> > work on Boost this summer, *please* consider adding a description of
> > the proposed work item and your name to the list at
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2014.
>
> How about the following projects:
> * Running regression tests on Android/RaspberyRI/Qemu, writing a
> documentation about crosscompiing Boost libraries.

Sounds good for the Ideas section, not enough for a full GSoC. If you
include a full port of anything not Android/RasPI compatible to those
platforms, you definitely now have a full GSoC (even if the student
only partially completes the task this summer).

I also suspect Google prefers to fund anything improving things on
Android, though I have no proof.

> + Adding automated
> TravicCI testing scripts to all the Boost libraries

That's definitely a full GSoC project.

> * Library for basic integration with spreadsheet applications
> Excel/LibreOfficeCalc/OpenOfficeCalc and OfficePrograms (Modifying cell,
> getting results from cells, saving documents, saving in PDF)

I'm struggling to see why Boost here?

> * Program protection and obfuscation tools (marking part of assembly at
> compilation, encrypting/decrypting part of the binary on-the-fly, detecting
> debuggers, detecting emulators and virtual machines, computer
> identification and gathering hardware specific identifiers...)

Similarly why Boost?

> If there is an interest in those projects, I'll add some description to the
> GSOC wiki page.

Definitely +1 to the Travis CI work and improving Android/RasPI
compatibility and testing. Feel free to add away to the GSoC page.

Aside no 1: I may be able to help out with reviewing any Travis CI
mentoring as AFIO uses Travis CI extensively.

Aside no 2: If we do use Travis CI a lot, we ought to ask the Boost
SC to make a regular donation to Travis CI as part payment for the
service. I send them EUR5/year for what AFIO uses, they actually wrote
me a nice hand written letter to thank me crazily enough.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/