Subject: Re: [Boost-users] 'Hashable' concept for type erasure
From: Samuel Christie (schrist_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-22 20:13:18

Hmm. Maybe it would be best if I make a custom wrapper class anyway, then.
All I really need is the ability to 1) record 'seen' objects in the
history, and 2) be able to tell whether one of the same objects is in the
history or not. Up until this point, I've been using unordered_sets, but I
was hoping to support more sophisticated memory models that would only
remember recent history, for instance.

Of those choices, I think (b) makes the most sense for my purposes, though
a or c would also be acceptable. I can't really see how I would achieve
that with just type erasure though. This could easily be a case of an
over-used hammer.

If you don't mind my asking, which of them would you recommend, which do
you think is achievable with type-erasure, and what other alternatives do
you think I should be considering?

-sc