Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost-build] building dependencies that use makefiles
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-24 11:40:48

AMDG

On 03/24/2014 05:22 AM, Mauricio Carneiro wrote:

> I thought that the application would learn from the library's dependency on
> multi-threading and automatically turn it on, but it didn't. I tried moving
> the <threading>multi to the requirements (together with the
> <include>htslib) but that didn't do it either. Do you have any insights on
> this?

You mean that you put <threading>multi in the /usage/
requirements? Only free features work in usage requirements.
In theory, I'd like it to work for non-free features, but when
features can propagate in both directions, figuring out what
properties to use for a target is a nightmare. I'm not even
sure that it would be a good idea if I could implement it,
as I'm afraid that the surprises that it would cause
might be worse than problems like yours. Anyway, the
workaround is to use <threading>multi on your application,
as you found.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe