Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost asio synchronous vs asynchronous operations performance
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-28 06:21:49

On 27 Mar 2014 at 12:09, Bjorn Reese wrote:

> > Otherwise I struggle to see how these could cause the kind of figures
> > the OP was seeing. If AFIO can push 400k ops/sec per core, and it's
> >
> > Very odd. How much time is spent in the kernel?
>
> Around 5% in debugging code, and 40% in optimized code.

AFIO spends about 45% of its time in locks as well when fully loaded
on non-TSX hardware. I am looking forward to getting my hands on some
TSX hardware though, as I believe AFIO ought to become little slower
than ASIO i.e. ASIO will be the overwhelming limiting throughput
factor.

Out of curiosity, how many CPU cycles per op in your ASIO test case?
AFIO seems to need ~9,000 CPU cycles per op processed, half of which
is spent spinning on CAS locks - I would assume that ASIO can knock
that down by two thirds?

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/