Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] serialization of an ifstream/ofstream class member
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-28 09:51:15

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Pablo Madoery <madoerypablo_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> string name_;
> ifstream file_;
>
> friend class boost::serialization::access;
> template<class Archive>
> void serialize(Archive & ar, const unsigned int version)
> {
> ar & name_;
> ar & file_;
> }
>
> when I try to serialize it throw compilation error :
> error: 'struct std::basic_ifstream<char>' has no member named 'serialize'.
>
> Is there a specific header i must include ?

May I ask what you intend to accomplish? A frequent use case for
serializing memory data is to write it to the local filesystem.
Presumably your ifstream represents a file that already exists on the
filesystem. Maybe you want to record the file's name? Perhaps you want
to record the current offset within that file? If so, I would
serialize those things specifically.