Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Sanity check please?: Boost 1_55_0 and building VS2012 static libs?
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-22 09:19:52

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:51:23AM +0100, g4_at_[hidden] wrote:
> True, but something of a diversion :) .
>
> B2 does not do the right thing when run in a shell configured for a specific
> version of VS, nor is this 'linkage' between 'versions' and official Visual
> Studio releases documented (say) here:
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/more/getting_started/windows.html

I believe that Boost.Build is designed to ignore as much as possible of
the environment it happens to be in, so that you can provide particular
versioned toolsets to it and it'll Do The Right Thing.

The only toolset where you _need_ to be in its magical command line is
Intel, thanks to inner workings of their toolchain that just don't work
without the environment taint.

In a similiar vein, a non-versioned toolset shall be considered to use
the latest it can find. For things that don't have any discovery method
other than "try an unadorned name" (gcc), that's the one that happens to
be in $PATH. For compilers where it _is_ possible to determine it, it
does, and I strongly believe that it should.

As for the documentation -- patches welcome I guess :)

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]