Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [atomic] ThreadSanitizer reports a data race when using the code from "reference counting" example
From: Adam Romanek (romanek.adam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-01 07:34:16

On 01.07.2014 10:49, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Adam Romanek wrote:
>> On 01.07.2014 10:36, Andrey Semashev wrote:

>>> Actually, no, fetch_add(acquire) is significantly different from the
>>> fence. It operates on the same object as the previous
>>> fetch_sub(release), so it must observe its effects and cannot be
>>> reordered.
>>>

>> After reading your first response I thought you're suggesting that the
>> "reference counting" example in Boost.Atomic docs is broken. But hopefully
>> we agree that it's fine, right? :)
>
> The example in the docs is indeed not correct. I believe, it should be
> corrected to use acq_rel memory order in intrusive_ptr_release. The
> fence can be removed then. I'll fix it as soon as I have some time.
>
>> So I guess this is a false positive from TSan, as suggested by others on SO.
>> I'll ask this on TSan's mailing list, lets see what they say.
>
> Ok, let me know if there are other considerations from TSan devs.

See above for my private conversation with Andrey Semashev on this topic
(he does not follow the boost-users mailing list).

Andrey says that the "reference counting example" from Boost.Atomic docs
is broken. What do you think about this?

WBR,
Adam Romanek