Subject: Re: [Boost-users] TCP resolver creates TppWorkerThreads on windows only
From: Chris Stankevitz (chrisstankevitz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-14 16:27:15

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM, niXman <i.nixman_at_[hidden]> wrote:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/doc/html/boost_asio/overview/implementation.html

> "An additional thread per io_service is used to emulate asynchronous host
> resolution. This thread is created on the first call to either
> ip::tcp::resolver::async_resolve() or ip::udp::resolver::async_resolve()."

niXman,

Thank you.

A literal interpretation of that page would lead me to believe my
example program should create zero threads, whereas my example program
creates three threads. I do not call async_resolve, I do not create
timers, and I do not call async_connect (albeit I do call the
synchronous resolve).

However, at this point perhaps I should just stop going down the
rabbit whole and consider this "expected behavior".

Also, I will assume the answer to my my first and second questions are "no".

> Q1: Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Q2: Is there a boost way for me to stop these threads?

Thank you again,

Chris