Subject: [Boost-users] Globbing library?
From: Andrew Marlow (marlow.agents_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-08 10:04:01

Hello everybody,

Is there a globbing facility in boost? If not, are there any plans to add
one?

Please note that globbing is related to matching strings that correspond to
file system objects functionality is neither regular expressions, nor is it
file system related. Therefore it does not belong in regexp, expressive or
bfs. IMO.

Globbing is pattern matching using conventions that grew up with unix but
have been widely copied to other operating systems and environments. The
rules for the patterns are very different to regular expressions and
somewhat simpler.

I have written a directory iterator for my own use and I currently employ
boost regexp for file name matching on unix. But i would very much prefer
that it use globbing. The code is portable, via ifdefs, and in the windows
branch I am able to use true globbing due to a facility in the win32 API.