Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.56.0 has been released
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-11 13:37:10

On 11 Aug 2014 at 15:37, Lars Viklund wrote:

> > This isn't VC++, this is some form of mingw-like as gcc or clang.
>
> I just saw the commit range mentioned by Niall in his post. It appears
> that Boost.Thread explicitly invokes some sort of pragma and uses
> internal names for the intrinsic/function instead of letting headers and
> compilers do their thing. How nice and interoperable...

Actually Boost.Thread gives you the option of whether it drags in
windows.h or not via a macro. By default it does not and therefore
must speak MSVC intrinsic.

The failure on mingw is because mingw appears to have suddenly
stopped implictly defining the MSVC intrinsics. As I mentioned,
mingw-w64 or older mingw's are fine. Boost.Thread in trunk is now
fixed and no longer attempts to use intrinsics on mingw.

Mingw, quite frankly, is very brittle and has lousy QA. Proposed
Boost.AFIO currently hangs on the latest Mingw due to yet another new
bug, this time they've broken directory enumeration somehow. I'm not
going to bother working around it, I'm simply telling people go use
Mingw-w64 which is far less buggy. Or use MSVC like sane people do on
Windows.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting