Subject: Re: [Boost-users] exercism.io -- crowd-sourced mentorship C++ track online
From: Mario Lang (mlang_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-22 13:33:02

legalize+jeeves_at_[hidden] (Richard) writes:

> Katrina Owens has created <http://exercism.io>, a web site designed
> to help programmers get better at their craft through crowd-sourced
> mentorship. The whole thing is free and open source and all you need
> to participate is a github account.
>
> I have contributed a basic set of completed exercises to enable the
> C++ language track. I would love for people from the boost community
> to participate in the C++ track. I had fun doing the initial set of
> exercises. Most of them could be completed in under 20 minutes,
> although the intention is that they increase in difficulty as you
> progress through them.
>
> For each exercise you are presented with the problem statement and a set
> of Boost.Test unit tests. The goal is to get a program that achieves
> the function and is expressive and readable. First you get all the
> tests passing in order to achieve the desired function, but then revise
> the code to get it to be more expressive and idiomatic in the language.
> It's that last part where the crowd-sourced mentorship comes into play
> -- once you've submitted your solution for a problem to the website,
> you'll be able to view the solutions other people have submitted for
> the same exercise in the same language. You can mentor them in how to
> write more expressive, idiomatic C++11 code. Who knows, maybe you'll
> also improve your C++11 skills by reading feedback from others on your
> submissions.

After playing with this for a day, I'd really like to thank you for
making this C++ track available, and IMHO, doing it right.

The use of Boost and C++11 is a real joy, allowing C++ solutions to
shine.

It's fun, it's great, try it!

As a blind user, relying on things being decently accessible, I am
particularily liking the cli to the API approach + being able to use my
local environment, instead of being forced onto a web-IDE.

This is wonderful.

I think it would be much nicer if submissions were handled
via git repositories, but that's a feature request for exercise.io,
not for the C++ track in particular.

Thanks for doing this.

--
CYa,