Subject: [Boost-users] [Log] reversed file rotation order...
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-24 18:44:14

Hi *,

We use file rotation with boost log, since I work more and with Python I
use Python's logging as well. One interesting feature I observed was that
Python's logger does reversed file rotation. Is that sort of feature
implemented with boost::log library?

In boost the rotation is:

whatever_0.log < oldest file
whatever_1.log
whatever_2.log < newest file

In Python the rotation order is:

whatever_0.log < newest file
whatever_1.log
whatever_2.log < oldest file

I think this is a very cool how Python does it, since I am able to
endlessly "tail" in the shell the log file:

tail -f whatever_0.log

will not stop until I cancel the tail operation. With boot it is like,
logger writes a new file and tail hangs with the file which is no longer
written. This is a bit unusable and confusing. Would be great if that'd be
possible in boost.

Thanks,
Ovanes