Subject: Re: [Boost-users] c++/cli & file.h
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-08 07:28:43

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 4:34 AM, It neophyte <phdlux85_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> hi
>
> I was told, no by someone, but need further feedback to be sure.

Where did they get their information from?

> quick question: could boost headers (.h) be complied in c++/cli project?

I would say in a couple of words: 1) it depends, and, 2) try it.

The thing you have to remember about C++/CLI is that it is a C++
language extension extending C++ into the .NET environment.

With that in mind, it can seem very schizophrenic at times; it's C++,
no it's .NET, it's C++, it's .NET, etc, etc. What do I mean by that?

* You can make the same C++ includes that you would in any other C++ program
* However, you are actually describing, for example, *.NET classes*
(or other constructs) via C++
* As such you can make the same sort of .NET references, using
clauses, etc, as you would in a C# program, for instance, if memory
serves

That being said, I was successful in extending Boost.Units into a .NET
Quantity based simulation. GC was an issue, but otherwise, things
worked pretty well.

Boost.Units is header only, and I haven't tried for other libraries.
You might have some issues if you needed collections, you probably
want to shy away from smart pointers, except under the hood, things of
this nature.

Check the MSDN for the precise verbiage. There are plenty of blogs and
other resources.

> Thanks

No problem. HTH