Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] XML: float format is scientific instead of human-readable since Boost 1.57
From: Frank Stähr (staehr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-28 12:07:19

Am 28.01.2015 um 16:16 schrieb Robert Ramey:
> Frank Stähr wrote
>> I compiled it with VS 2013 for 32 bit. The output file has the line:
>> <m_accuracy>
>> 2.99999999999999990e-002
>> </m_accuracy>
>> In Boost 1.55 it was much better human-readable: 0.03.
>
> This is surely an unintended side effect of changes to guarantee correct
> "round tripping"
> of floating point numbers. That is that the the floating point number read
> in is bit for bit
> the same as the floating point number written out.

Yes, I read about "round tripping" in some mail archives, thanks for
clarification.
In my opinion it would be more sensible to use the format options from
the ofstream. This would suit much more elegant to the std … but anyway,
I am not familiar with round tripping …

> This was seen as good thing. I'm not sure if this creates some unintended
> problems.

Not really, this just makes it harder to read or edit XMLs now.
Is it possible for us to write the “old” XML format?

Frank