Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] XML: float format is scientific instead of human-readable since Boost 1.57
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-30 11:27:53

Frank Stähr wrote
> Here a reminder to my most important question:
>
> On 28.01.2015 at 18:07, Frank Stähr wrote:
>> Not really, this just makes it harder to read or edit XMLs now.
>> Is it possible for us to write the “old” XML format?
>
> So I guess no?

Not necessarily. The archive classes have provision for options to be set
upon opening. One way would be too add a new option - no_roundtripping or
whatever. Of course that means tweaking the implementation of the library.
These days I only do this in response to a cogently formulated request
entered into the trac system.

The problem is that these things always to turn out to have unintended
consequences. Since we test serialization pretty thoroughly (though not as
thoroughly as I would like), this always ends up as more work than
anticipated so I tend to drag my feet in these matters.

Speaking from memory, I believe that all the text base archives use
set_precision on the underlying stream (and reset back to what it was upon
leaving). So maybe the best thing would be to create and option -
no_stream_modication which would suppress this behavior (speaking from
memory, there might even be such and option specified already!).

So if it's really important to you and you want to do a little work, feel
free to delve into this aspect of the library and propose an
enhancement/modification. If you're really confident you can fork the
serialization library on github, test out your updates (don't forget update
to the documentation!!!!). Then you can issue a pull request and start
bugging me to include it. I've generally (though not always) been willing
to merge these into the library.

So I'm willing to consider accommodating this request. The real question is:
is it sufficiently important for you to do the work or only important enough
for me to do the work?

Robert Ramey