Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [gsoc15] Google Summer of Code 2015 ideas needed before 20th Feb
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-10 12:16:20

On 10 Feb 2015 at 10:44, Chris Cleeland wrote:

> > Can you elaborate on your ideas here? I'd doubt we need much detail
> > for now.
>
> Sure. I use the Unit Test Framework pretty extensively, and there are a
> couple of areas where I and other users I know could really benefit:

I had a horrible feeling you were going to suggest Boost.Test ...

As you may know, Boost.Test develop branch has diverged from master
for about two years now. The maintainer is happy for people to help
him with develop branch, but has been reluctant with master branch
for obvious reasons. There has been no indication that develop branch
will be mergeable to master let alone production ready any time soon.

> 1. thread-aware and/or thread-safe

Out of all the problems I've faced with Boost.Test (master branch),
thread safety has not been one. Can you explain?

> 2. "mocking" support--either integrated or external-but-complementary

I suspect Gennadiy will claim Boost.Test develop branch has or is
getting mocking support already. I honestly have no idea personally.
I recently moved my Boost library away from reliance on Boost.Test,
it now can switch between that and CATCH. To be honest I mostly use
the latter in my own coding now.

Boost.Test used to accept GSoC students. They have not in 2014 nor
2013.

You may not be aware that two mocking related libraries are in the
Boost community review queue, DependencyInjection (DI) and Mixin.

I'd suggest explaining a bit more about what you have in mind, and
maybe we can arrange an extension of DI or Mixin if appropriate. It
might actually be possible to extend Boost.Test develop branch,
though I understand it's been heavily refactored.

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2015 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2015