Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Asio] Need help making a custom service
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-11 10:18:19

On 11 Mar 2015 at 7:25, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> * svante karlsson <saka_at_[hidden]> [2015-03-10 20:35+0100]
> > If you got it working by wrapping the file descriptor - post it and I'll
> > give it a shot on tidying it up.
>
> I *think* I have a vested interest in this as well. An age or two ago,
> I started an inotify interface on a query engine (when some data file
> changes on disk, it re-reads). I didn't know what I was doing and
> ended up with something that tightloops.
> https://github.com/ericprud/SWObjects/blob/sparql11/lib/SimpleServer.hpp#L1157
>
> Since inotify works on fds, what you're doing might teach me my next
> steps. (I'd of course love to see inotify/fsevent/FileSystemWatcher
> widgets in Asio and am happy to donate whatever I have of value).

The v1.4 release of AFIO should have some very limited support for
file watching, mainly for portably avoiding polling of advisory lock
state changes. It should land before the end of 2015.

A proper file system monitor is probably a >= 2016 item. They are
surprisingly hard to write correctly.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting