Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Serialization cumulatively.
From: Tony Camuso (tcamuso_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-13 13:01:36

On 03/13/2015 12:35 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Tony Camuso wrote
>> I'm trying to serialize the data from multiple passes of an app
>> on various files. Each pass generates data that must be serialized.
>> If I simply append each serialization, then deserialization will
>> only occur for the first instance, since the number of records
>> read by the deserialization will only be for the first instance.
>>
>> What I'm doing is deserializing on each new pass, deleting the
>> original file, and then serializing everything again with the
>> new information.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do - but of course this is
> the list so I can just answer anyway.

Hi, Robert. I sent a response to Steven this morning, posted here ...
http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2015/03/83963.php
... that gives a little more detail about what I'm trying to do.

> Why doesn't the following work?
>
> Ok a couple of problems:
> a) tracking prevents writing of data multiple times
> b) serialization requires that data be const just to prevent users from
> doing this exact sort of thing - which is a mistake in the presence of
> tracking.
>
> Solution - turn tracking off and cast away consents

How do I disable tracking? That sounds like it may be very useful. I must
do my own tracking, as described in my response to Steven, so having boost
track for me is redundant, and probably hurts performance.

By "cast away constants" do you mean, static_cast<type>(identifier) from
"const type" to "type" ?

> I have no idea if this is helpful - but maybe it's food for thought
>
> Robert Ramey

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate any and all input.

Regards,
Tony Camuso