Subject: [Boost-users] [Phoenix] Version 1.57 of Phoenix breaks when used with MSVC 2010 compiler?
From: Andrew Nordquist (anordquist_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-19 13:34:33

Hello, folks -

I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out. I/we have been using Boost in our 20,000+ lines of C++ code for a few years now.
We started with 1.43, went smoothly to 1.53, and although it was bumpy going from MSVC 2008 to MSVC 2010, we are there now.

We are now using MSVC 2010 and Boost 1.53. We use many routines, including Phoenix, Spirit, bind, tie, etc.

I am attempting to migrate to Boost 1.57. Got clobbered with about 400 lines of unexpected diagnostic in the compiler. That is the attached file. In the file, the lines showing the files named "cutoffitem.cpp" and "densitydelegate.cpp" are ours, but what is between these two lines is coming from Boost. It appears that it could be a C++11 type of problem, but I'm not sure . I read about that potential problem with the [utility] [result_of] class template in the report designated n3276 and in the 1.57 [utility] documentation. I think the major concern with this issue was going to Boost 1.52. In our code, I tried a quick-fix precompiler #define, but it did not work.

Got any ideas? I'm about to go back to version 1.53, at least until I upgrade to Visual Studio 2013.

Thank you,
/Andrew Nordquist
Research Analyst
Southwest Research Institute