Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Serialization cumulatively.
From: Tony Camuso (tcamuso_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-20 15:15:26

On 03/20/2015 02:18 PM, Nat Goodspeed wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:37 AM, tcamuso <tcamuso_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> What I'd like to do, because i think it would be much faster, is to go
>> through the one big file and deserialize each of those serializations as
>> they are encountered. Early testing showed that it would only take a few
>> minutes to integrate these pieces into one whole.
>
> If there were some simple way for user code to recognize the end of an
> archive, maybe you could interpose an input filter using
> Boost.Iostreams. The filter would present EOF to its caller on
> spotting the end of archive, but leave the underlying file open (with
> its read pointer adjusted to immediately after the end of archive) for
> the application to bind another instance of the same filter onto the
> same underlying file.

I must look into Boost.Iostreams, because I can recognize the end of an
archive by detecting the "serialization::archive" string at the
beginning of another. This is a hack, I realize, and there's no guarantee
that this banner won't change in the future.

>> If there were linefeeds in the serialized data, the code to do this would be
>> much simpler.
>
> Maybe you could derive an archive type yourself from one of the
> existing ones that differs only in appending an easily-recognizable
> marker when finished writing?

This may be the what's needed. I'm almost out of time on this project, so I
may have to eat the long time it takes to build the database and revisit
this another day when I'm in maintenance mode. I will be happy to post my
results.