Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] std::shared_ptr with Boost >= 1.53
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-30 17:16:47

Rüdiger Berlich wrote
> Hi there,
>
> I need to support various versions of Boost, but am in the process of
> porting our entire code base to C++11. This involves replacing those
> constructs of Boost that are now in the standard with their
> C++11-counterparts.
>
> A prime example is std::shared_ptr. However, most of our code needs to be
> serializable. I know that serialization of std::shared_ptr is possible
> with Boost 1.58. But 1.53 (the oldest version I need to support) cannot
> serialize std::shared_ptr .
>
> Is there any reason not to include the 1.58-Version of
>
> #include <boost/serialization/shared_ptr.hpp>
>
> instead of the older version, if I detect a Boost-version < 1.58 ?

I believe that #include &lt;boost/serialization/shared_ptr.hpp&gt; should
support both boost::shared_ptr as well as std::shared_ptr. Check
test_shared_ptr. I believe this is illustrated here.

Note that this is an unusual case since boost shared_ptr serialization
is supported in the serialization library rather than the boost smart_ptr
library so the above advice is not universally applicable.

Robert Ramey